WCA manages the southwest Agricultural Applied Research Management (Agri-ARM) site in the dry brown soil zone near Swift Current, SK. WCA has collaborated with the federal, provincial and municipal government, as well as many commodity groups, industry partners and universities. Research projects range from soil salinity remediation, equipment use trials, rotation trials to regional variety trials, safe practice herbicide demonstrations and a wide range of agronomic trials involving pulse, oilseed, forage and cereal crops. WCA works to address current agronomic, economic and environmental issues facing producers and land managers through research, demonstration and extension.
This job provides hands-on training in agri-research and scientific research with an environmental focus, as majority of data is taken from a field, or lab type setting. Tasks promote safety and a strong, organized work ethic that is applicable to any career or academic field of study.
Student is responsible for:
- Setup and maintenance of agricultural research trials according to field plans and protocol
- May include operation of small equipment
- Tasks include weighing crop inputs, recording environmental observations, taking and uploading photos and note taking and data collection at multiple stages of crop development
- Emergence counts, plant height, herbicide tolerance, disease ratings, weed control, insect scouting, operation of lab equipment for protein analysis, test weights and other parameters accepted by the Canadian Grain Commission
- Student is involved in setting up demonstrations and signage for field day and interacting with producers and other industry professionals
- Student is expected to complete tasks by specified date, and keep track of numerous trial objectives, as well as communicate this to the rest of the team
- Most tasks involve 2-4 people to be involved, as note taking, as well as physical labour is needed simultaneously for the extraneous data and detail that is collected over a large area of land
- send your resume to email@example.com